Hyaluronic Acid Lip Enhancement – What is it?
Hyaluronic acid helps reduce wrinkles and return fullness to the face. The substance is a filler that is absorbed by the skin, producing temporary results. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that exists in our tissues naturally but disappears over time. It can be used to gently enhance thin lips that have become less pronounce over the years.
Lip enhancement using Hyaluronic Acid – Advantages
- Enhance thin lips
- Fill lips that have become less prominent
- Fill in fine lines appear around the mouth
- Improve the skin appearance
Who is a good candidate for hyaluronic acid?
- Healthy individuals
- People with realistic expectations regarding the results of the procedure
- Those who feel that their lips are too thin or have lost some of their volume
- Those who have noticed fine lines developing around their lips
Hyaluronic acid treatment consultation
During the consult we will get to know one another and we will discuss:
- The reasons you are interested in getting hyaluronic acid injections, what expectations you have, what results you are looking to achieve and what can be done realistically to improve the appearance your lips. (By coordinating expectations, we can increase your satisfaction and alleviate any worries you may have regarding the procedure.)
- Your health status and medical history, including any drug sensitivities you might have or what medication, if any, you take regularly.
- Whether you have a history of autoimmune diseases (diseases in which the immune system attacks your body’s own tissues).
- Any previous filler injections you have received.
- A full explanation of the procedure.
- The treatment is a non-surgical one performed during the consultation itself. It is natural to feel a bit nervous or excited prior to our visit. A thorough understanding of the procedure will help reduce anxiety. You are welcome to ask any questions you may have and discuss your feelings during the consultation.
How do I prepare for the hyaluronic acid procedure?
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin during the week prior to the procedure.
- Make sure to let the physician know if you are unwell (e.g. if you have the flu)
- ֿIn the event that you have a history of oral Herpes Simplex (cold sores), you will receive prophylactic treatment.
The steps for treatment with hyaluronic acid
Injection of filler substances may look like a simple procedure because it involves just a few injections in the clinic however the process requires an intimate knowledge of scientific medical information and an artistic approach that only physicians have the experience to implement.
It is crucial that the physician performing the procedure do so according to each patient’s specific anatomy and facial structure. In addition, the physician must be very familiar with facial anatomy in order to reduce any risks associated with the procedure.
Anesthetic creams or local anesthesia can be administered prior to the procedure. In addition, cooling the area with ice can make the procedure more tolerable. The injections themselves can sting however for the most part, the pain is described as tolerable. A very thin needle is used for injecting hyaluronic acid. The treatment is performed in the clinic. The number of injections that will be performed is a function of the number of areas you wish to treat.
The results of the procedure are immediate however the final results will be visible only once any swelling from the procedure goes down, which can take a few days to 2 weeks.
What should I expect from the recovery process following lip enhancement?
- Recovery time varies between patients. You can return to your regular activities right after the procedure however we recommend that you avoid intense physical activity for the first day following the procedure in order to limit swelling.
- Following the treatment, you may experience some swelling, bruising or hard areas at the site of injection. Most of it will disappear within two days.