Table of Contents
Botulinum Toxin Type A – What is it?
Botulinum toxin is a substance popularly used for injections in aesthetic medicine. It temporarily reduces or eliminates the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The most common areas for performing the treatment are on the wrinkles between the brows, forehead lines and the fine lines next to the eyes, also known as crow’s feet. Botulinum toxin can be used in the neck area, on the cheek muscles to reduce the appearance of a wide jaw, for fine lines above the top lip as well as for reducing the appearance of a gum-exposing smile.
Botulinum toxin is a pure substance that is derived from bacteria. Injection of botulinum toxin into the skin results in a temporary blockage of communication between the targeted nerve fibers and the associated muscle into which it is injected. Without these nerve signals, the muscle will not contract. The result is a reduction in the appearance of wrinkles in the area where the treatment is performed. It is important to note that Botulinum toxin has been used for many years in almost every field of medicine for therapeutic, non-aesthetic purposes. The most common brands of Botulinum toxin used in Israel are Dysport® and Botox®.
Botulinum toxin – Advantages
- Treatment of wrinkles next to the eyes (known as “crow’s feet”), in the forehead, between the eyebrows as well as fine lines along the upper lip, and wrinkles next to the nose.
- Reduction of neck cords
- Softening of the chin
- Lifting the corners of the mouth
- Reducing the appearance of a wide or square jaw
- ֿCorrecting a gum-revealing smile.
Who is a good candidate for Botulinum toxin?
Natural facial expressions such as smiling, furrowing the brow or squinting the eyes result in the formation of wrinkles. They can result in a fatigued or angry appearance, even when you are not. Some of the fastest treatments for reducing wrinkles include the use of hyaluronic acid injections, peeling or abrasion treatments, which can improve results. A combination of these treatments can be used to prevent the appearance of new wrinkles, as well.
Botulinum toxin Consultation
During the consult we will get to know one another and we will discuss:
- The reasons you are interested in getting Botulinum toxin, what expectations you have, what results you are looking to achieve and what can be done realistically to improve the appearance of your face. (By coordinating expectations, we can increase your satisfaction and alleviate any worries you may have regarding the procedure.)
- Your health status and medical history, including any drug sensitivities you might have or what medication, if any, you take regularly.
- Whether you have a history of autoimmune diseases (diseases in which the immune system attacks your body’s own tissues).
- A full explanation of the procedure.
The treatment is a non-surgical one performed during the consultation itself. It is natural to feel a bit nervous or excited prior to our visit. A thorough understanding of the procedure will help reduce anxiety. You are welcome to ask any questions you may have and discuss your feelings during the consultation.
How do I prepare for the Botulinum toxin procedure?
- Avoid taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin during the week prior to the procedure.
The steps for treatment with Botulinum toxin injections:
Botulinum toxin looks like a simple procedure because involves just a few injections in the clinic, however, the process requires an intimate knowledge of scientific information and an artistic approach that only physicians have the experience to implement.
There are 43 muscles in the human face and it is crucial that the physician know precisely where to perform the injections according to each patient’s anatomy and fine lines or wrinkles.
The procedure is performed with a very thin needle for injection of the Botulinum toxin. Specific locations for injection are determined in order to weaken particular muscles only and maintain natural facial expressions.
The treatment takes less than 15 minutes.
The number of injections depends on the number of wrinkles and the desired areas for treatment.
The results begin to become apparent anywhere from a few days to 10-15 days after the treatment. The effects will remain for 3-4 months.
What should I expect from the recovery process following Botulinum toxin?
- There’s no need for anaesthesia prior to the procedure and there’s no need to take days off following the procedure.
- Make sure not to massage or rub any treated areas for the first two days following the treatment in order to avoid moving the substance into other areas of the face.
- Avoid exercise (with the exception of walking) for 24 hours following the procedure.